12.02.2009

Long Time Between Updates + Update Only Gives Second POV = Major Fic Faux Pas

Now, you know I don't like to rant (::cough::bullshit::cough::) but I've decided to start a new series to be lovingly referred to as "Fic Faux Pas". I'm not malicious--I won't mention any fic by name or make any obvious allusions--rather, I will give authors some pointers on a few things that would help we readers love them even more. Now, it might seem, at times like I'm giving authors quite a spanking, but someone needs to advocate for us, the reader! Authors, this is hurting me more than it's hurting you, but I'm spanking you for your own good.

Read and learn:

Long Time Between Updates + Update Only Gives Second POV = Major Fic Faux Pas

If I love your story but if you write like molasses I need the next part to give me more. More, not as in same stuff, different character. More, as in more of the story. And, when I say story, I mean plot. If I have waited a long time, what I want to know most is what will happen next.

One more thing:

If you pull this after a big cliffie, don't even fucking talk to me. I hate you. At least for awhile.

But, love and hate are parallel emotions, and I hate you only because I love you. I love you so much that I want everything you have to give me. But, then it's like "why are you holding out?" I am filled with joy when I get your update in my box, but when I don't find out what happens next, it's all just a tease.

There are some exceptions:

People who update frequently are exempt. Kind of.

If you're posting twice a week, I don't really mind. Though, in general I don't think most authors do a great job of pulling off same scene/different character, but that is a rant for another time.

So that's it chicadees. But I'm curious to know--what rants are you storing up? Drop me a line and tell me your fic faux pas!

2 comments:

SassenachWench said...

I totally see what you're saying, though I have to add that most readers get pissed no matter what, if the chapter is a re-write of the previous with an alt-POV.

E.g. in one of my fics I re-wrote a previous chapter in alt-POV, providing new information, and posted it as an *extra* chapter that week (still posted regular chapter). I got my ass handed to me by a few reviewers anyway, for daring to "tease" them into thinking it was a "real" chapter.

I remain convinced that alt-POV re-writes are only going to be appreciated once the fic is complete.

Bouncy72 said...

Hmm I don't like it when it's too long between updates. One of the stories I'm reading I'm lucky to get a chapter a month, & by the time I get it I have to go back & re-read the last chapter because I can't remember what the hell is going on.Yes I also think it's frustrating waiting ages for a story & then you just get it in another POV. (although I don't mind so much if the POV is not in the same place that the person in the chapter before was) - not sure if that made sense, but... *shrug*